Sunday, February 20, 2011

Untitled

A forgotten February night,
dressed up in a spring dress,
sacheting around the city
hoping to be seen,
wanting so badly to be the night
that everyone wants to dance with--

there are thoughts on the interstate
in my mind, speeding from home to destination
after everyone has gone to their homes
with their lovers and their others
and I sleep on a couch that constantly pulls
me inward; with the patio door open onto Richmond

the wind is moving violently
it's sole intention is to get me to notice it
but the wind is so arrogant and doesn't realize
even if I looked, I couldn't find it
couldn't laugh with my arms around it's neck
and dance for just a moment,
couldn't kiss it on it's mouth gently to remind it
how deeply I would move it's soul
even if I looked, it hides so desperately

it hides so perfectly

below, the unknown neighbors are fighting
she thinks he's walking out on her
and he's carrying garbage bags to the dumpster

below, a taxi throws a laughing man and woman on the curb
they're drunk and red and dancing up the steps
she's leaning backwards with her heals
threatening to send her tumbling
he's leaning forwards in his romance
debating on how deep to touch

the couch is still pulling me inward
and it's finally when my eyes close
that the wind comes to me through the patio door
and whispers concerned in my ear,
"Why did you not search for me?
And if you say you searched,
then how, with all your faith,
did you not find me?"

come morning, i'll change the subject
so that i can move on,
but you'll never move on,

but you'll never move on,
you've never moved on,

you'll
never
step away from this
a whole man.

No comments:

Post a Comment