Saturday, December 25, 2010

When I'm Taken Back, It Seems...

Hair on vinyl, dammnn
Yes, I realize how religious this is--
You know what this means to me?
It means hearing a car door,
walking out on the back steps
as she climbs over the fence with friends,
and we whisper while we sneak cigarettes,
whisper while we sneak glances,
in the dark you can’t see eyes,
or you can but darkness really means that it’s sexier.

Oh it means so much more that just “This is good work.”
It means, “Can I come over? I need a friend.”
Hell yeah, come on. Share my bed. Here’s some food.
Let’s listen to some records.
It means, “Beth, I have to leave town.”
Sure, where do you need to go?
It means, “Come check out the new carpets I got in my car.”
Okay, let me grab the Visine.

And it simply means that I’ve got connections,
that there is something more powerful
than what you’ve been letting on,
means that I’ve got this brief case cuffed to me,
and there’s money inside and I’m resisting,

means that this is truly the only way to get off
you’ve been lying or unknowing or completely ignorant
this entire time,
but that’s okay, I’ll give you another chance,
if you at least come over and listen.

It means chances, it means forgiveness,
it means, “It’s all okay, let’s just do this,
why the hell not?”

I feel like I’ve come back to the lord,
where’ve you been?
Had your back against the wall?
That’s cool--I’ve got something for that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment